What are spider veins or spider leg veins?
Spider veins are very small veins caused by a dilation of the tiny venules under the skin.
They are softer or smaller versions of varicose veins, their color is purple, red and blue. Its appearance is similar to a spider web or thin tree branches. Spider veins usually appear on the legs and face, and are more common in women than men.
What are the causes of spider veins?
Spider veins appear when the valves in the leg veins weaken, allowing blood to flow backward. The ability of the veins to resist increased pressure is mainly reduced in women whose body estrogen level is low.
Some factors are:
- Use of oral contraceptives
- Family background
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
How does radiofrequency treatment for veins work?
With radiofrequency, controlled energy is applied in the form of heat, which helps to eliminate truncal venous insufficiency, this technique is also known as Thermocoagulation.
A minimally invasive technique.
The energy pulse produces the thermal coagulation of the veins, resulting in their disappearance without the need to bandage them later. It is done with a very small needle that acts locally without damaging the rest of the skin.
The number of needed treatments to resolve vein problems varies depending on the size of the veins to be treated and the body’s ability to heal. The sessions are carried out once a month and may be necessary between 5 to 6 sessions when the veins are in the legs and 2 to 3 sessions when they are in the face.
Aftercare for a spider veins session
After the treatment you may feel an itchy or hot sensation that lasts for about 30 minutes. The after care instructions are:
- Do not exercise or take hot baths for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Apply the medication prescribed by your doctor (if prescribed).
- Applying Aloe Vera or any cold preparation can help you feel better.
- 3 weeks before treatment and 3 weeks after treatment, you should not be exposed to sun and you should use sunscreen daily.
- If you need multiple sessions, you must avoid sun exposure throughout the treatment.
After a few days of treatment, small scabs will form that will fall off in 15-20 days. Once the skin has completely healed, a session can be performed again if necessary.